Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Haunted Week Day 1: Ghosts of Books Half-Read

{This Girl Reads}

*

{This Girl Reads}


October 24th - Ghosts of Books Half-Read 
Ever had the feeling that someone was watching you? It just might the spirit of a book you haven't put to rest. Today feature five books you began but never finished.



The top book that I'm featuring today would be City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1). Back when it really wasn't all that famous, I saw The Mortal Instruments box set in a bookstore, containing the first three books in the series, and I bought it. 

But it just fell a little flat for me. The beginning sounded really fun, with demons in a club and there were loads of action with Clary's mother going missing and her discovering the truth about her heritage. And then, Jace. I do love him too.

Yet, after a while, the story got a little draggy for me. It couldn't captivate me enough and I just wanted more of Jace and Clary as a couple, but they didn't deliver. 

Okay, I'm saying this straight out: I was bored.

And, so even till this day, I still have not finished this novel. And to make myself feel less guilty for buying three books in a row, I stashed this series at the back of my bookshelf :)



It seems as though I have a knack for not finishing popular novels *weak grin*. 

My friend bought me Vampire Academy on one of my birthdays and I was really excited since she was full of praises for this novel. 

But, I guess it's magic just didn't work for me. I read half-way through, my brain crammed full with Strigoi and a long list of characters that made me feel kind of uncomfortable.

Actually, when it all comes down to it, my biggest problem was Rose and Lisa. I just couldn't bring myself to like them. I couldn't fully empathized with Rose, didn't think that Dimitri was that hot, and thought that Lisa's relationship with Christian was strange.

Perhaps, it was because I was only twelve then and I couldn't appreciate Richelle Mead's world. 

And my biggest regret was that I never stayed long enough till I could have met Adrian... The girl on the cover still smirks creepily at me from my old bookcase.





As for this book, I am totally stupid. 

I borrowed it from the library and didn't have time to finish it before it was due.

Had to return it with longing looks and salty tears. 

Knew enough of St. Clair's awesomeness to last me a century.

But, the truth is just that I didn't finish it. (hides under a rock in shame)

I really didn't (WAILS).








I totally loved its premise when I read a review on a book blog. It sounded so freaking amazing and I was crossing my fingers for a good romance.

And truth be told, this book wasn't bad at all.

I just got stuck at some dull patch and never got up on my feet again. 

This is one book that I'm pretty sure that I'll be revisiting. But, meanwhile, it's staring at me icily from the top of my bookcase. (gulps)







I really don't get all the hype for this series. I wanted to like it. I really did. But, I didn't like it, not at all.

Straightaway when I was catapulted into the story, it seemed quite ridiculous. The process which the main character went through to get a job was weird. 

And the worse thing was that the writing was awful. I had high expectations for the novel, but the way the characters conversed was stilted, the plot line juvenile and the writing was all tell and no show.

So I closed the covers of the book before the adventure could start and just stopped at the plane ride.

(P.S. According to the Chinese Zodiac, I am born in the year of the tiger! Isn't that cool?)





Are you also haunted by ghosts of books half-read? ;)


xoxo,
Sel


13 comments:

  1. Aw you seriously ought to feel haunted and sorry towards those books! >D haha I feel haunted by Pandemonium (author: Lauren Oliver) too! Not because I read it halfway, but because I was supposed to read it after exams and I haven't got the energy or determination to lift my butt up the sofa and get the book xP ahh gotta start on it soon, else my parents won't let me buy books anymore! :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw you reading Pandemonium like a girl possessed during the Captain's ball game :D Read away!

      And I do feel very haunted by these books ._. Especially since most of them were bought *shoots a guilty look at my parents* I shall have to steel my will and really start reading all the books I've bought!

      Apropos, the books I highlight in my weekly stack never do match up with the amount of reviews I right...

      Delete
  2. Haha, I love your strategy with City of Bones—that's what the bottom shelf of my bookcase is for!

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't finish a library book before it was due! Sometimes two weeks is not enough time!

    Oh, and you lucked out with the year of the tiger—I was born in the year of the pig. Every girl's dream, I'm sure. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Sometimes I discover really good books in the library and I get really excited. Then two weeks zoom past and before I know it, I have to return the book :/

      At least, when we stuff the books away, they don't haunt us ;) Tee hee, my father's the luckiest, he was born in the year of the dragon *grins*

      Delete
  3. You have to finish Vampire Academy! You HAVE to meet Adrian! ;)

    I haven't finished Anna and the French Kiss myself - I have to give it another shot soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try my best! *pumps fist* It's really hard to overpower your "ghosts"... But Adrian is worth it ;)

      Looks like Anna and the French Kiss is haunting a lot of people :D

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your "ghosts." City of Bones is in my TBR pile. And I see Vampire Academy advertised everywhere but so far I've resisted adding it to the heap that is waiting to be read. I am also participating in Cheyenne's Haunted Week through my blog. Stop by and check out my ghosts. I'm number 18 on her list. Happy blogging!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I won't be starting of Vampire Academy any time soon too :/ Happy blogging to you too!

      Delete
  5. I haven't read Anna and the French Kiss, but I've heard a LOT of great things about it. And the way you let it go with longing looks and tears makes me want to run to the library right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Yes I'm. I'm so haunted by half read books. There's 7 books that I have to finish and half read only TT_TT

    ReplyDelete
  7. City of Bones- The series does get better, and there is lots of action.

    Vamp Academy- this series gets a LOT better.

    Anna- Can't say anything about this one, because i have yet to read it myself. Sigh

    Between the Sea and the Sky- PLEASE give this one another chance. It got a little slow for a while, but it turned out to be an absolutely BEAUTIFUL book.

    Tiger's Curse- Can't say much here either. I did read the first one and liked it, but haven't read any of the others yet.

    I have a lot of DNF's that disappointment me. I am sure that I have missed out on some amazing reads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wanting to read Anna and The French Kiss, but I haven't had time lately. I have heard that it is really good though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, take your time and cruise around. Leave your links! I always comment back :-)

Wishing you lots of good books to come along your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...