Thursday, May 10, 2012

Interview: Andrew Fukuda (author of The Hunt)





Born in Manhattan and raised in Hong Kong, Andrew Fukuda is half-Chinese, half-Japanese. After earning a bachelor's degree in history from Cornell University, Fukuda worked in Manhattan's Chinatown with the immigrant teen community. That experience led to the writing of Crossing, his debut novel that was selected by ALA Booklist as an Editor's Choice, Top Ten First Novel, and Top Ten Crime Novel in 2010. His second novel, The Hunt, the first in a new series, was bought at auction by St. Martin's Press and was published in May 2012. Before becoming a full time writer, Fukuda was a criminal prosecutor for seven years. He currently resides on Long Island, New York, with his family.




Hello Andy, nice to have you here at Bookcase to Heaven™ today! I have some questions that I just had to ask you after reading your enrapturing novel, The Hunt! So I will kick off this interview with the first question :)

The Hunt is not distinctly dystopian with its touch on vampires. Are you a fan of dystopian novels or fantasy writing?  

I'm a fan of dystopian, not so much of fantasy, although the latter is certainly a genre I highly respect. What I find so fascinating with the dystopian genre is how it wrestles with mankind's attempt to find utopia. It's a misguided attempt, of course, because it will always be tainted with humanity's inability to reach social ideals-- everyone is too fractured, broken, greedy, fallen-- and the end result is inevitably a dysfunctional governance. 

In my mind, that's how it gets its name: dysfunctional + utopia = dystopia.   

I do agree, such is the charm of novels illustrating dystopian societies. As I recall, there was a subtle reference to Twilight in The Hunt. So, in reality, which is closer to your idea of a vampire-- Bram Stoker's Dracula or Stephanie Meyer's Edward Cullen? (I couldn't resist asking this *cheeky smile*) 

Hmmm...tough question. I think the vampire has become so ubiquitous across genre and art mediums that its form has become quite malleable. Edward Cullen is quite different from the Anne Rice's vampires which are in turn quite different from the Johnny Depp vampire in the upcoming movie. I think what matters most is whether the form of the vampire fits the function within the artistic medium it is in. I do have a preference, as you've probably realized, for the vampires in I am Legend (movie version).  

Yes, indeed, now on to a question that would interest most female readers of your novel. The romance between Gene and Ashley June was quite perfectly done! Perhaps this is quite an odd question to ask a male author, but I am rather curious on the matter. Do you believe in true love?  

I do - but it's rare. I prefer to think of love as on a sliding scale with Total Incompatibility on one end and Complete Synced-ness on the other. Most people fall somewhere in between.    

How has your Japanese and/or Chinese heritage influenced your writing?  

It had a direct effect on my debut novel, Crossing, because the protagonist is a Chinese immigrant living in America. His experience is quite different from mine, but there was some overlap. With The Hunt, my Asian heritage makes me feel more a need to prove myself. The YA genre is written by mostly white (and female) authors, and as an Asian American male I feel the need to prove myself while at the same time sticking to my artistic vision, no matter how unique and against the grain it might be.

That, I can understand. You have sure proved yourself! I can say with utmost conviction that you have inspired many other aspiring Asian young writers to pursue their writing dreams. 

But before I end, I have to admit that I am eagerly awaiting the sequel to The Hunt! Anything to reveal?  

The book is already written, but right now I can only reveal the title. It is THE PREY. Thanks for a great interview, Selina!

You are most definitely welcome! Thank you for satisfying my curiosity by answering these questions! I can't wait for The Prey!







Get the gist of The Hunt in this trailer. Do you see those fangs? ;)

 


To know exactly what I feel for The Hunt, read my review here. :)

xoxo,
Sel

11 comments:

  1. His writing is really good! It's great that you can have the opportunity to interview him. Good questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed :) I am really honored to have interviewed him. Glad you enjoyed these questions and his answers!

      Delete
    2. I did, now I'm looking forward to more interviews from you!

      Delete
  2. Very interesting to read! That's so cool that you got to interview him too!! I haven't read The Hunt yet but it's near the top of my to-read list and I can't wait to. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right ;) This is my first author interview and I jumped up and down on my seat when he agreed!

      His views quite convince me that he will have more lovely novels up his sleeve! Go read it and join the fanclub (people rooting for Fukuda)!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA OMG THIS INTERVIEW IS SO COOL :))) the first interview on this blog!! This is a nice feature :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKRRRRRR :D Yay, thanks, darling! Cross your fingers for more interviews in the future!

      Delete
  5. THE HUNT is complex and at times details about how the world has come to a point where humans are almost extinct just aren't there. It might frustrate some readers because it requires a certain amount of suspending disbelief. I found I was able to work past most of the questions I was having because too much detail would have taken away from the desperation and focus of Gene's situation. The not knowing was a key element in strengthening the plot.

    The vampires are very different from humans both physically and mentally and yet in some ways very much the same. Fukuda does a fantastic job of blending weird actions into the vampire behavior, such as wrist scratching instead of laughing, that really make the reader's skin crawl. As the hunters train for the Hunt a careful detatchment becomes evident between Gene and the last remaining humans. He's been alone too long, been amongst the monsters so long he's lost touch with what it means to be human. It's freaky and an interesting dilemna that will have readers on the edge of their seats as the action-packed climax of the story comes to a head. I found it a struggle to put the book down because I had to know how it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved this book
    great intrview

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, take your time and cruise around. Leave your links! I always comment back :-)

Wishing you lots of good books to come along your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...