Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: The Twin's Daughter



Twin's Daughter

Author:

Summary:

Lucy Sexton is stunned when a disheveled woman appears at the door one day… a woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to Lucy's own beautiful mother. It turns out the two women are identical twins, separated at birth, and raised in dramatically different circumstances. Lucy's mother quickly resolves to give her less fortunate sister the kind of life she has never known. And the transformation in Aunt Helen is indeed remarkable. But when Helen begins to imitate her sister in every way, even Lucy isn't sure at times which twin is which. Can Helen really be trusted, or does her sweet face mask a chilling agenda?

Filled with shocking twists and turns, THE TWIN'S DAUGHTER is an engrossing gothic novel of betrayal, jealousy, and treacherous secrets that will keep you guessing to the very end.

*

I so totally did not want to read this at first ><

Simply spying for a read to idle my time away, I saw this lying there in all of its pink glory. Though it sounded like a thrilling package, I had been aiming for a light summer romance... But, with nothing on my hands, I read it anyway.

And thank god. Thank god I read it! When I first touched the coarse thin paper, I stupidly thought that I was in for just another YA Gothic novel with zero romance. Man, was I wrong!

Needless to say, I actually signed up for so much more. Few pages into this fascinating Victorian world and I couldn't put the book down. A budding romance, a nagging suspicion, careful clues dropped your way-- The Twin's Daughter slowly built up its momentum with a promising cast and then... BAM!

That intense, bone-chilling, domino-effect surprise. It plants a seed of doubt in you as you struggle to find the truth as the story fluctuates like the tide. 

But, before I actually try to skilfully unveil that without spoilers, the stage needs to be set up. 

When Aunt Helen first arrives on their doorstep, the Sexton family is warm and welcoming. Everyone rushes to give her the best that they can to make up for the years lost. As Lucy takes a great liking to Aunt Helen, the frame is picture perfect. Lucy's mother showers her with lavish gifts and beautiful gowns, she introduces Aunt Helen into her circle of friends, she does everything she could to make Helen a part of her life-- and she succeeds. Seeing Aunt Helen as radiant as her sister in the waltzing pairs, seeing Aunt Helen befriending other ladies with charm, seeing Aunt Helen laugh gaily with Lucy and her father, any reader will feel a motherly sense of relief. After all, Aunt Helen deserves a life of smiles and splendour after the hardships in her youth.  

Yet, that was when the cold feeling started creeping up on me. As I looked at the world through the eyes of carefree but careful Lucy, Aunt Helen gradually turns into a perplexing danger, when even Lucy finds it difficult to differentiate between Aunt Helen and her own mother. How far does sisterly love and kindness reach before the fear of having someone taking over your life sets in?

But, there is an oasis in the stretch of never-ending spikes of fear. Even as I tried to juggle all the shocking clues and disturbing acts, there was a sweet romance budding behind the dark curtain of foreboding secret agendas. Just like a fragile but strong flower growing amidst grinning skulls, the love between Lucy and Kit gave me faith in the face of impending doom. From poking fun at each other to eventually shyly accepting their love, their romance blooms slowly with no haste in the fast-paced storyline, like the only constant in their ever-changing world. 

I adore Lauren Baratz-Logsted for slipping in so many layers of the story. This wasn't a one-dimensional story, but one girl's life story-- one that I could see, hear and fear with my heart.     

Now, with all the events leading up to the moment, the story finally reaches its first climax and begins to take on an even darker undertone. A murder happens in the Sexton household, and Aunt Helen perishes. However, as Lucy matures into a young lady, she can't help but doubt the change in her beloved mother. Is she who she says she is? Who really died in that bloodbath years ago? 

As Lucy faced alarming truths and deals with ill-fated events, I was leaning on the edge of my seat while making smart-aleck conclusions about the resolution. Yet, with the timely plot twists and not so timely surprises, I began to doubt my conclusions over and over again.

In the end, stunned speechless by the whole whirlwind of events that charts the love and loss of a girl from child to lady, I can only tell you this: The Twin's Daughter deserves a zealous round of applause-- for having Arthur Conan Doyle's sense of mystery, Jane Austen's grasp of wit and Edgar Allan Poe's mastery of thrill!   



Source: My beloved old library



xoxo,
Sel

18 comments:

  1. Great, great review Sel!! As usual! <3 I agree... Twin's Daughter doesn't exactly seem like my cup of tea, as I am leaning towards lighter summer reads, but your amazing review convinced me otherwise! Oooh...Arthur Conan Doyle's sense of mystery, Jane Austen's grasp of wit and Edgar Allan Poe's mastery of thrill?!! O.o I really must get my hands on this ASAP!!! :P

    Check out My Latest Post?


    xx
    Riya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes and YES! You have to! I will check it out ASAP :)

      Delete
  2. awesome review!! it sounds like i would really enjoy this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh..what an amazing review...you have completely sold me on this and now i simply must read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Go read it now, what are you waiting for? :D

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear you were pleasantly suprised by this one! I admit when I first came to this review and saw the book I thought the same thing as you - meh, looks like a boring YA Gothic novel. But it wasn't! :D Infact, sounds like something I would really enjoy reading. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :D I was like -,- too. I promise you will enjoy it! Thank you :)

      Delete
  5. This books seems sooooo amazing. This now on our to-read list, hands down! We are predicting outcomes to this book, as we speak. Amazing review, by the way. Thanks for stopping by our blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's great to know! Thanks for dropping by to :) Hope you met some good titles!

      Delete
  6. Oh, thank you :D I will check it out for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, your review has sold the book! I really like a good gothic novel as well, and this seems like fun! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goody! Even I, a person who almost never reads gothic novels, loved this book. I'm sure you will find it fun too! :)

      Delete
  8. ...
    This is awkward.

    But --okay, inserts warning about being cheesy--

    if not for your review, I may have never picked that book up :D (because it's pink.)

    It started out boring but toward the climax, I started making guesses about who the deceased really was! And when the ending came out, it really came as a twist :D I'm bouncing with happiness now :D

    Uh. Yay :D

    -awkward comment is awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your awkward comment made me very happy :) Your cheesiness made me smile... So, thanks for telling me that my review actually worked. It got someone to pick up the book, albeit with lots and lots of doubt about the colour. It got someone to agree with me, that The Twin's Daughter is a good book!

      Oh my. My reply sounds awkward too... But, it's okay, our awkwardness crosses out each other >:)

      I'm really glad you liked it!

      Delete
  9. This book sounds so good! Went to the library yesterday and made a beeline for this book! Started on it and can't wait for the plot to unfold! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Glad you can't wait! Can't wait to see what you think too :D

      Delete
  10. Yo did you realize that in the cover, there is a dagger between the twins?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, take your time and cruise around. Leave your links! I always comment back :-)

Wishing you lots of good books to come along your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...