Saturday, May 12, 2012

Review: I've Got Your Number




I've Got Your Number

Author: Sophie Kinsella

Summary:

I've lost it. Sad The only thing in the world I wasn't supposed to lose. My engagement ring. It's been in Magnus's family for three generations. And now, the very same day his parents are coming, I've lost it. The very same day. Do not hyperventilate, Poppy. Stay positive Smile !!  

Poppy Wyatt has never felt luckier. She is about to marry the ideal man, Magnus Tavish, but in one afternoon her 'happy ever after' begins to fall apart. Not only has she lost her engagement ring but in the panic that followed, she has now lost her phone. As she paces shakily round the hotel foyer she spots an abandoned phone in a bin. Finders keepers! Now she can leave a number for the hotel to contact her when they find her ring. Perfect! 

Well, perfect except the phone's owner, businessman Sam Roxton doesn't agree. He wants his phone back and doesn't appreciate Poppy reading all his messages and wading into his personal life. 

What ensues is a hilarious and unpredictable turn of events as Poppy and Sam increasingly upend each other's lives through emails and text messages. As Poppy juggles wedding preparations, mysterious phone calls and hiding her left hand from Magnus and his parents... she soon realises that she is in for the biggest surprise of her life.



Published 14 February 2012 (Valentine's Day)

*

Oh my good god.

This is a book that sent me into a crazed frenzy. I LOVED IT!

WARNING: This review is going to be a jumble of thoughts with tiny hugs and kisses scribbled all over. 

I loved every single character in this lovable novel. I loved the hilarious Poppy who tries in earnest to imitate the voice mail tone. I loved the clever Sam who shamelessly helps others cheat in Scrabble. I even loved the random stumpy Japanese businessman who kindly halted in his tracks to hear a rendition of his name sang in the tune of Single Ladies. LOVE.

I adored every scene in this adorable novel. I adored Poppy's pictures of rotten teeth to Sam when she sees that he misses his dental appointments. I adored Sam's calmness as he leads Poppy out of the woods. I adored every single one of their conversations, be it serious, funny or outright ridiculous. And most of all, the wedding scene had me looking on with such rapt attention, so much that I let my bowl of ice-cream melt. Let it melt all it wants, I just wanted to know whether the guy gets the girl!

Laughing my way through the whole novel, I never expected even the slightest dose of sadness. It was the most perfect comedy I have ever seen, tickling me with its spoofs of life. So when the urge to cry came, I was so stunned that I simply cried without inhibition. What could be more sad than knowing you love someone but you can't be with him? Funny, carefree, silly and cheeky Poppy finally felt like crying, knowing that she was about to walk down the aisle to the wrong guy-- someone who was not Sam Roxton. 

If this isn't love, I don't know what it is! I was gripping the book feverishly, my heart beating all the more thunderously for Sam with each step Poppy takes towards Magnus. Yes, I know that she met Magnus first. Yes, I know that she thought she was in love with him. Yes, I know that she knew Sam for a much shorter time. But, just like The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight, love often comes at the most unfortunate and inopportune of times.

Because no matter how we all search for the workings behind love, it all boils down to one word-- fate. For Sam and Poppy, Fate flipped her hair and gave them a huge time bomb to deal with. For a girl who is engaged, is it possible to truly fall in love a week before the biggest day of her life-- her wedding day?

This is the joke that fate played on them. Simply because Poppy was at the right place at the right time, she picked up that fateful phone in the bin and her whole life took a 180° turn. And despite all the frustration and woes, we all know that Poppy will never regret her moment of dazzling moral revelation when she reassured herself that the rule of "Finders Keepers" stood true, while trying to scoop up the forlorn phone inconspicuously from the bin.

Whether Poppy chooses to believe in the quirks of fate or to ignore fate's untimely visit is something you have to read to find out, and I am sure you will do just that. How can you stay unconvinced by my loud declarations of love and adoration for every single word in this novel? >:)

Still, funny how I believed in Sam and Poppy's love although the word never appeared in their conversations. Yet, with no doubt, I know that this is love, glitzy and grounded in the twenty-first century-- wonderful, but cruel even, with its timings.

With this new recognition, I don't think I will ever hesitate in picking up a lost phone in a dingy-looking bin. Okay, maybe I will do it stealthily Smile.

End of SMS.


Source: The Good Ol' Library 



xoxo,
Sel





16 comments:

  1. Wow, you clearly really loved this book! A book that had you laughing a crying is obviously a keeper.

    I'll be honest with you. I do not read contemporary. I never ever do. But after reading your review I'm seriously considering reading this one and that kind of shocks me haha. Thanks for sharing!

    P.S. Thanks for the birthday wishes! I hope you have a good birthday later this month and I hope, for my sake, that your parents let you use the credit card. ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D I'll be honest with you too. I rarely read contemporary either. I haven't even read Sophie Kinsella's hugely popular Shopaholic series!

      But, you always chance upon a gem of a book, and this one grabbed my attention from the start to the end like any other adventure or action-packed novel!

      Well, do consider because you definitely won't regret it!

      P.S. You're welcome! Cross your fingers and pray, birthday wishes do come true :)

      Delete
  2. Great review!! I love Sophie Kinsella, and can't wait to read this! I've heard so many great things about it, and your review makes me want to go out RIGHT NOW and buy it!!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Looks like another fantastic book by Kinsella! I've only read a few of her books so far but loved them all, so I don't know why I haven't read all of them! I love the sound of this one and your review has made me eager to get a hold of it!

    New to your blog!
    Steph @ Stepping Out of the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :) same here, I don't know why I didn't read all of her books before!

      Delete
  4. Wow this author clearly has a knack for writing humorous stories that teenagers love! Your review really makes me want to go out and buy the book right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like just wow, right? :) GOGOGOGO go buy it, so happy that my review had you convinced!

      Delete
  5. Omg this book seems really so nice to read, I want to read it too! Thanks for your enthusiastic review HAHAA xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh, this is wy I love hopping by bloggers. Otherwise, I'd never given this book a chance! I'm not that crazy about this kind of books, but this one sounds great! For me, this is the ultimate fluffy summer read, so I'm definitely going to check it out :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Give this book a chance, you will have the ultimate summer read for sure! :D

      Delete
  7. This definitely sounds like a good book! This is about the only book I haven't readf from Sophie Kinsella! Definitely cannot wait to get my hands on this book:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first book :D Now I'm a die-hard Sophie Kinsella fan!

      Delete
  8. I read Can You Keep A Secret by the same author, and judging from your review, this one promises to be as good, if not better! ^^ I WANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! I WANT Can You Keep A Secret too! Is it any good? :D

      Delete

I love comments, take your time and cruise around. Leave your links! I always comment back :-)

Wishing you lots of good books to come along your way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...